The Mulford Farm, listed on the National Register of Historic Places is considered one of America’s most significant, intact English Colonial farmsteads. Originally the site of three successive blacksmith’s shops, by 1680, the Mulford Farm was a family farmstead of approximately fourteen acres and was the home of more than ten generations of families, most of them Mulfords, until 1949. The Mulford Farm is interpreted as the year 1790, a time when the resident Mulfords, David and Rachel, prospered. In 1790, the census states that there were eight people living in the house, David and Rachel (Gardiner) Mulford, three sons, one daughter, and two apprentices.
The Mulford House represents one of the most important and complex artifacts produced by our culture – the family home. The house, built in 1680, is a remarkable survival that has been left largely unchanged since 1750.